Thursday 19 March 2009

Petanque, parties & pigging out

Keeping perspective & a smile since I left our home a week & half ago has been tough. All boxes are now unpacked, although some contents have just been thrown into cupboards to sort out later. On Thursday eve I held House Warming II: the sequel, on my rooftop terrace as the weather is just perfect to be outside in the evenings. The party was a success, and I met several new people. After, J and I sat chatting for hours under the starlit Muscat sky. Yes I know, who asks their ex to their house warming just days after they've moved out? Sad people like me, who despite things not working out between us still wants to maintain a friendship. However, like a bad girly movie when there was not any contact in the following days - and why should there be? After all we are not together now- I found comfort pigging out on biscuits & crisps and bad girly movies on tv. Pathetic!

On a different note, last Saturday I got a cry for help from a friend who needed a third person to play petanque in a competition that eve. Having never played, but having watched the Spanish version in Avila, I instantly agreed and a few hours later saw the 3 of us lose respectfully to a French team. I threw a couple of ok shots, so didn't let the team down toooooo badly, I think. It was really good fun and a different way to spend an evening. Unfortunately, for me, the third player was available for the next match on Monday, so my newly aquired expertise was not needed.

Well, for us here in Muscat it's the weekend again and I've started it with a hangover from too many daiquiries. Early yesterday evening, I met a man about a job with his training company and things look quite promising, although details like hours and pay where not discussed. I left the meeting feeling quite happy as he'd loved my cv & experience, and even if I don't end up working for him it's nice to get that pat-on-a-back. What's more I can see that I do not have to teach English, which I've currently returned to in order to pay the mortgage. Yeah! So, I called a friend & we went to the Mexican, had a few too many cocktails and I'm now nursing a fuzzy head. My poor body - crisps, biscuits & bad movies when sad, lots of alcohol when happy. Maybe I should start a detox before I visit mum & dad at Easter?