Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Neglected

...not me, but my blog, but then when you settle into life somewhere there is less to say. I may be in an exotic location, but my everyday life is just like most working people's... I get up, go to work, come home, do work at home/eat/watch tv and/or go out with friends. I go to the supermarket, although as I still live in a hotel it's for breakie stuff; muesli, and yoghurt; or for snacks, and I do laundry - alright just the hand-washing as the rest gets sent to the laundry (see here). I spend hours on-line and I spend time drawing. I laugh, I cry, I get frustrated and overjoyed.

The exotic becomes the norm. I love sitting on little stools under a bridge because it is slightly cooler there, sipping over-sweet mint tea, which has been served by a large lady with an even larger smile. The first time I sat there, I felt as if everyone was looking at me, the only Westerner, which they were, and I felt uncomfortable. Last weekend, sitting on the same stool for the third or fourth time, the chai-ladies now smile at me in recognition, people come over to my friend to ask him to help with translations, and I no longer feel embarrassed, but comfortable there.

Everyday life means the blog gets neglected, just like the old boat banked beside of the Nile, which I spotted last Saturday. Unlike the beached boat, the neglected blog means that I am settled here, I am happy with this life and, even though it's not Friday, I would like to say I am grateful for the normality.

4 comments:

ovson said...

Sounds like you're learning to "go with the flow" and being much more a traveller not so much the tourist

LindyLouMac said...

It is still interesting to read posts such as this one when you have the time to write. We all feel our own lives are just normal everyday happenings which they are, but it is always interesting to hear about other places!

Fern Driscoll said...

Missed you! Your 'norm' still sounds pretty exotic to me, and I'll be happy to read whenever you feel like writing...

Diana Strinati Baur said...

I love the way uncomfortable becomes comfortable in an interesting life -- and then, once your comfortable with that thing that was odd, it's hard to think about giving it up.